2021-22 Undergraduate Grading FAQ

2021-2022 Undergraduate Grading FAQ

Last Update: 8/16/21

Note: The FAQs below apply to all terms in the 2021-22 academic year (fall 2021, winter 2022, spring 2022, spring/summer 2022, and summer 2022). For previous grading policies, visit 2020-21 Undergraduate Grading FAQ and winter 2020 Undergraduate Grading FAQ.

Q1: How will undergraduate students be graded in 2021-22?

As we expect a return of most classes being offered in person, fall 2021 will see the return of traditional grading systems for undergraduate students. Grading policies that were in place to help students manage very challenging personal situations due to the COVID-19 pandemic expire at the end of summer 2021.

Q2: Will I be able to convert my letter grades to P or NRC grades?

No. Courses that are graded A through E will not be able to be converted to “P” (Pass) or “NRC” (No Record COVID) grades. The NRC grade will no longer be utilized.

Q3: What if I elect Optional Pass/Fail for a course at the beginning of the semester? What will my grade be?

If you originally select Optional Pass/Fail, you will receive a P grade for passing or an F grade for not passing. The P or F grade will be your official grade for the course. These grades cannot be converted back to letter grades.

Q4: What if I am taking a course that is only Credit/Not For Credit or another type of special grading basis?

Courses that have a special grading basis like mandatory Credit/No Credit, Degree Credit Only, mandatory Pass/Fail, or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory will continue to use the originally specified grading basis.

Q5: I am an undergraduate student but I am taking a graduate-level class. What happens to my grade?

These grading policies also apply to undergraduates enrolled in graduate courses.

Q6: What happens if I withdraw from a course?

We recognize that the pandemic continues to create stress and uncertainty for students. In response, we are temporarily extending a more flexible withdrawal policy, allowing students to withdraw from a course at any time up until the last day of class. However, in a difference from the previous policy, if a student withdraws from a course after the drop/add deadline, it will appear on the student’s official transcript with a W grade. This will empower students to make informed decisions about whether they would like a grade recorded for the class or to withdraw and receive a W. Courses that have already ended or have been graded cannot be dropped.

Q7: Will my tuition be adjusted if I withdraw from a course? (updated 8/16/21)

No, tuition adjustments are not made after the drop/add deadline unless it is for a complete term withdrawal.

Contact Information

Q8: Who do I contact if I have further questions about the changes to grading for the 2021-22 academic year?

Please send any questions to the Office of the Registrar at [email protected].

We will continue to update this page as new questions come in.