Winter 2020 Undergraduate Grading FAQ

Winter 2020 Undergraduate Grading FAQ

Last Update: 7/8/2020

Q1: Why are we moving to this new grading policy for winter 2020?

The transition to remote teaching — happening as many students were moving to new living situations — has made this a challenging time to teach and learn. We also recognize that not all students have reliable access to the internet, stable housing, family support, and other key resources right now.

For many students, taking letter grades off the table will reduce pressure and allow them to focus on their learning. That is very much our hope. For others, earning reported letter grades is important or even necessary based on specific circumstances. Both views are understandable. We hope this new policy provides the balance everyone needs while also alleviating at least some of the anxiety everyone may be feeling during this challenging semester.

Q2: How will winter 2020 classes be graded?

Faculty will continue to record letter grades, but students will receive either a “P” (Pass) or “NRC” (No Record Covid) grade for A-E graded courses. The grade cut-off for a “P” will be the same as the traditional grade minimum for students to receive course credit, which is a C-.

Language will be added to transcripts explaining the university’s policy for the winter 2020 term.

Students who are interested will be able to request that their grade for a course be converted to a letter grade. Such requests must be made by July 1, 2020.

Q3: How do I request to have my grade converted to a letter grade? (Updated 7/6/20)

The deadline to request grade conversions was July 1, 2020. There may be limited and specific academic reasons where grade conversions can be requested after the July 1 deadline, such as late grades and meeting certain degree requirements. Check with your school or college, as each school or college will have its own protocols for requesting changes to your grading basis. If an exception is granted and your grade is converted, updates are made to your grade and academic statistics, including grade point average.

Q4: How does the NRC grade work? Do I still get credit for the course?

Students who receive “NRC” will receive no course credit, and their grade point average will not be affected.

Q5: I would normally get credit for a course if I got a D grade. Under this new grading policy, a D will be an NRC and I won’t get credit. What should I do if I need the credit for this course?

In this case, you have the option to convert to a letter grade. If you have questions, you should work with your academic advisor.

Q6: How will the new P/NRC grades impact honors and awards, such as University Honors, Angell Scholar, and/or school or college honors, etc.?

Students may want to choose to convert to a letter grade to be eligible for certain honors and other awards. Make sure to consult with your school or college’s rules for honors and awards.

Q7: If I choose to convert to a grade, do I have to convert all of my courses?

No, you can select which courses you want to convert, and you can leave some as “P” or “NRC.”

Q8: What if I am taking a course that is only Credit/Not For Credit or another type of special grading basis? (Updated 7/8/20)

Courses that have a special grading basis like mandatory Credit/No Credit, Degree Credit Only, mandatory Pass/Fail, or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory will not use the “P” or “NRC” grades. They will continue to use the originally specified grading basis.

Q9: What if I had elected Optional Pass/Fail for a course at the beginning of the semester? Do I still get the option to convert to grades?

Yes, if you originally selected Optional Pass/Fail, you will be allowed to convert to a grade if you want. This is a special exception to the Optional Pass/Fail policy for this semester only. You cannot convert to grades for courses you took Optional Pass/Fail for other terms.

Q10:What if I already have a grade for a course? Will this grade change to a “P” or “NRC”?

No. There will be no changes to courses that were completed prior to March 10, 2020.

Q11: I am an undergraduate student but I am taking a graduate-level class. What happens to my grade?

This new grading policy also applies to undergraduates enrolled in graduate courses.

Q12: I was studying abroad this semester and am now home and taking online courses. Will my courses use the P/NRC grades?

This will depend on your study abroad program. If you would have normally received GPA credit for your courses, then yes, you will receive P/NRC grades. If your courses are Credit/No Credit, then they will continue to follow that grading pattern.

Q13: What happens if I withdraw from a course? (Updated 3/24/20)

If you are an undergraduate and drop(ped) a course March 10, 2020 through the last day of classes, the W grade will not appear on your official transcript. The W grade will appear on your unofficial transcript.

Q14: Will my tuition be adjusted if I withdraw from a course?

No, tuition adjustments are not made after the drop/add deadline.

Contact Information

Q15: Who do I contact if I have further questions about the changes to grading for the winter 2020 semester?

Please send any questions to the Office of Registrar at [email protected].

We will continue to update this page as new questions come in.