The university provides a free printed diploma to each student on or after graduation. Beginning with the winter 2020 graduates, a complimentary eDiploma is provided once the printed diploma is issued.
The eDiploma is not available to the Doctor of Medicine graduates, as their diplomas are processed by a different vendor.
Medical and Dental School students receive their diplomas at the graduation ceremony. All others are mailed to the graduate's permanent address or the Diploma Address if one has been created by the student in Wolverine Access. Diplomas are mailed approximately 6-8 weeks following the commencement ceremony.
Students must apply for graduation using the online graduation application in Wolverine Access. Students should check with their school or college of enrollment for deadlines. Standard sizes of diplomas are as follows: >
- 11" x 14" -- Doctoral Degrees (except MD)
- 15 3/4" x 22" -- Medical School (MD)
- 8 1/2" x 11" -- All Others
Order a Diploma Replacement or eDiploma Online
The following services are available online through our official diploma vendor, the Michael Sutter Company.
- Order a replacement diploma – If you need a duplicate or replacement diploma, you can order it easily online. You will be able to choose Standard Delivery or Express Overnight Delivery. There is a $20 charge for Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Certificates. There is a $30 charge for Law School , School of Dentistry (D.D.S.), and Rackham Doctoral. Your Diploma will be printed and mailed within 1-2 days of your order. Name changes: If the name on the diploma request does not match the name on your original diploma, you may be notified by email to supply legal documentation (marriage license, driver's license, passport, divorce decree, etc.) of your current name.
Note: For Medical School (M.D.) diplomas, please place your order using the Medical School (M.D.) Order Form (PDF).
- Order an Official eDiploma – Past graduates may order an eDiploma for a fee. The University of Michigan eDiploma is a Signed and Certified PDF of your original paper diploma used for easy diploma verification purposes. The University of Michigan eDiploma is a one-time charge of $5. You will receive your eDiploma within minutes of ordering. You can then share your eDiploma as often as you need.
- Diploma Status – Search the status of your diploma order whether it is your new diploma or replacement diploma.