Blue Teaching Evaluation System
In Spring 2018 the University transitioned to a new Teaching Evaluation system called Blue. Instructors and staff will use Blue to set up evaluations and view reports. Students can access evaluations either in Blue or through Canvas.
All dates are guidelines that most evaluations follow.
- Fall 2020 Term Evaluations
Key Dates for Fall Evaluations
- September 9 - October 30: Departments order evaluations
- November 3 - November 17: Question Personalization
- November 18 -December 9: Students take evaluations
- Late December: Reports available to instructors
- Midterms Fall 2020 Evaluations
Key Dates for Midterms Fall Evaluations
- September 9 - September 30: Departments order evaluations
- October 1 - October 8: Question Personalization
- October 9 - October 19: Students take evaluations
- Late October: Reports available to instructors
- GB1 Fall 2020 Term Evaluations
Key Dates for GB1 Fall Evaluations
- September 9 - September 23: Departments order evaluations
- September 24 - October 1: Question Personalization
- October 2 - October 12: Students take evaluations
- Late October: Reports available to instructor
Department staff will receive an email directing them to Blue, where they will find a list of the courses offered by their department(s). See above for ordering deadlines for each evaluation period.
New staff who will need access to reports should should work with their Unit Liaison to request the role SR EVALUATION ORDER USER and/or SR EVALUATION REPORT USER and appropriate academic org secondary security in the Online Access Request System (OARS).
Instructors will receive an email from Blue inviting them to preview their evaluation and optionally add up to three custom multiple choice questions and two open-ended questions.
Updates and Changes to Templates
Contact email@example.com with any requests for new questions, new templates, or changes to existing templates. The Office of the Registrar’s Evaluation team will make the changes for you. Information to include in the email:
- Template Name (for changes) or indicate if it is a new template
- Description of the change
- Your contact information (email and phone number)
When core evaluation templates need creating or modifications, instructors working with their evaluation coordinators can design their core evaluation templates by selecting the questions from our Question Catalog. A maximum of 12 questions can be added to the template.
- Allowable Evaluation Questions
Allowable Evaluation Questions Eight new university-wide core questions
This course advanced my understanding of the subject matter. Q1631
My interest in the subject has increased because of this course. Q1632
I knew what was expected of me in this course. Q1633
I had a strong desire to take this course. Q4
As compared with other courses of equal credit, the workload for this course was (Much Lighter, Lighter, Typical, Heavier, Much Heavier). Q891
The instructor seemed well prepared for class meetings. Q230
The instructor explained material clearly. Q199
The instructor treated students with respect. Q217
Old required university-wide questions (keep through 2020)*
Overall, this was an excellent course. Q1
Overall, the instructor was an excellent teacher. Q2
Twelve Department Selected Questions**
Questions can be selected from the question catalog. Any combination of quantitative (ranking) questions and qualitative (comment) questions is allowed.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with requests for new questions or templates.
12 Questions (Optional)
Five Instructor Added Questions
Instructors have the choice of entering existing questions from our catalog or creating their own questions. ***
They can add up to 3 quantitative questions and up to 2 qualitative questions.
5 Questions (Optional)
Maximum allowable questions: 27
* Question #3, "I learned a great deal from this course.", was replaced by Q1631.
** If a department chooses to have fewer than 12 questions, the system is not able to compensate with additional instructor-added questions.
*** The questions being added by instructors do not copy over from term to term. They have to be re-entered.
Reports for any evaluations taken in Spring 2018 or later will be in Blue. Evaluations from Winter 2009 through Winter 2018 will be in Faculty Center.
Instructors and department staff will receive an email from Blue when reports are ready one week after the last day of exams.
There are three standard reports:
- Instructor with Comments Report - a combined summary report that includes both quantitative ratings and student comments;
- Instructor Report - a detailed report that displays quantitative ratings;
- Individual Response Report - a detailed report that displays individual student ratings and comments.
For Additional Information
Office of the Registrar – Evaluations