Blue Teaching Evaluation System
In Spring 2018 the University transitioned to a new Teaching Evaluation system called Blue. Instructors and staff will use Blue to set up evaluations and view reports. Students can access evaluations either in Blue or through Canvas.
All dates are guidelines that most evaluations follow.
- Fall 2021 Evaluations
Key Dates for Fall 2021 Evaluations
- September 22: Departments order evaluations
- October 7: End of term with midterm template changes due
- October 12 - October 19: GB1 (1st 7wk) students take evaluations
- October: 12: Midterm & End of Term orders due
- October 15 - October 25: Students take midterm evaluations
- October 27: End of term (without midterms) template changes due
- November 4: All evaluation orders due
- November 19 - December 10: Students take evaluations
Question personalization available 12 days before evaluation opens.
End of term reports will be available late December.
All Fall 2021 evaluations must close by December 17.
Preliminary reports will be available for early ending courses.
Department staff will receive an email directing them to Blue, where they will find a list of the courses offered by their department(s). See above for ordering deadlines for each evaluation period.
New staff who will need access to reports should should work with their Unit Liaison to request the role SR EVALUATION ORDER USER and/or SR EVALUATION REPORT USER and appropriate academic org secondary security in the Online Access Request System (OARS).
Instructors will receive an email from Blue inviting them to preview their evaluation and optionally add up to three custom multiple choice questions and two open-ended questions.
Updates and Changes to Templates
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any requests for new questions, new templates, or changes to existing templates. The Office of the Registrar’s Evaluation team will make the changes for you. Information to include in the email:
- Template Name (for changes) or indicate if it is a new template
- Description of the change
- Your contact information (email and phone number)
When core evaluation templates need creating or modifications, instructors working with their evaluation coordinators can design their core evaluation templates by selecting the questions from our Question Catalog. A maximum of 12 questions can be added to the template.
- Allowable Evaluation Questions
Allowable Evaluation Questions Eight new university-wide core questions
- This course advanced my understanding of the subject matter. Q1631
- My interest in the subject has increased because of this course. Q1632
- I knew what was expected of me in this course. Q1633
- I had a strong desire to take this course. Q4
- As compared with other courses of equal credit, the workload for this course was (Much Lighter, Lighter, Typical, Heavier, Much Heavier). Q891
- The instructor seemed well prepared for class meetings. Q230
- The instructor explained material clearly. Q199
- The instructor treated students with respect. Q217
Twelve Department Selected Questions** Questions can be selected from the question catalog. Any combination of quantitative (ranking) questions and qualitative (comment) questions is allowed.
Email email@example.com with requests for new questions or templates.
12 Questions (Optional)
Five Instructor Added Questions Instructors have the choice of entering existing questions from our catalog or creating their own questions. ***
They can add up to 3 quantitative questions and up to 2 qualitative questions.
5 Questions (Optional)
Maximum allowable questions: 25
* Question #3, "I learned a great deal from this course.", was replaced by Q1631.
** If a department chooses to have fewer than 12 questions, the system is not able to compensate with additional instructor-added questions.
*** The questions being added by instructors do not copy over from term to term. They have to be re-entered.
Reports for any evaluations taken in Spring 2018 or later will be in Blue. Evaluations from Winter 2009 through Winter 2018 will be in Faculty Center. Instructors and department staff will receive an email from Blue when reports are ready.
There are three standard reports:
- Instructor with Comments Report - a combined summary report that includes both quantitative ratings and student comments;
- Instructor Report - a detailed report that displays quantitative ratings;
- Individual Response Report - a detailed report that displays individual student ratings and comments.
For Additional Information
Office of the Registrar – Evaluations